Photography expert witness and digital image analysis
Richard Quindry provides the following services:
- Expert testimony and digital image forensics (the evaluation of photographs to determine their truthfulness or retrieve additional information from them).
- The determination of whether images are reasonably accurate representations of what they show.
- Finding evidence of the alteration of photos.
- Enhancing indiscernible details in photos.
- Extracting additional information from the digital photo’s metadata.
With the proliferation of digital cameras and smartphones and the widespread availability of image manipulation software, the integrity of photographic evidence has never been more open to question.
Rich has over 40 years of experience as a full-time self-employed commercial photographer. He is also a Photoshop expert. His specialty is combining these skills to create digitally enhanced images. Rich has several multinational clients and has received international recognition for his work. You can learn more about his skills, clients, international acclaim, and more at his commercial photography site: Quindry.com. These skills allow him to know what tells to look for to determine if an image is manipulated.
His skills include:
- The practical knowledge of optics, lighting, perspective, and exposure and their effects in determining how subjects are depicted
- Expertise with Photoshop and other digital imaging programs to manipulate photographs. Over 25 years of practical experience with digital retouching and the knowledge gained from reading over 10,000 pages on the subject
- The ability to examine digital files for tampering, including retouching or compositing, by detecting imperfections left from manipulation that are often not noticeable to the naked eye
- The ability to make a well-informed judgment as to whether an image accurately represents what it depicts or is misleading and explain why.
- Photogrammetric analysis to determine measurements and distances from photos
- As a Photoshop expert, he can often tease out and make visible details in an image that exist but which are not discernible to the naked eye, including any evidence of alteration.
- Rich can often determine whether a digital image was taken when a witness says it was.
- An ability to calculate the sun’s relative position for any time, date, and place on earth, and is sometimes being able to determine by studying shadow length and angles whether an outdoor photo taken in the sun could have been taken when claimed.
- He can analyze the colors in the image to determine if they are reasonably accurate or if they distort and misrepresent what they depict.
- The knowledge of how many special effects are created in photography.
- He’s able to explain things in ways that can be easily understood by laypeople, both verbally and in writing.